Nancy’s 25 Facts.
2. Family: Dad, Mom, and Older Brother. My dad works in San Jose and commutes home on the weekend which roughly accumulates to 7 years actually spent with my dad give and take a few holidays (2 days a week X 52 weeks in a year = 104 days per year X 21 years old = 2184days / 364 = 5.98 years, add on a couple of days for holidays and vacations throughout = 7 years).
3. Vietnamese-American. My dad is Vietnamese. My mom is Vietnamese born and raised in Laos as a 3rd generation and spent some years in Thailand before coming to America. Thus, my mom’s side of the family is mixed with Laos, Thai, and Vietnamese relatives while my dad is pure Vietnamese.
5. UCSD. Attend UC San Diego and in Eleanor Roosevelt College (ERC) studying International Studies – Economics as a primary track and political science as a secondary track with a regional specialization in Asia. Minor in Communication.
6. Deltasig. Nu Class. Part of a co-ed Business Fraternity, Delta Sigma Pi (the other DSP) on campus.
7. EAP Vietnam 2011. Studied Abroad in Vietnam through UCEAP program in Hanoi. If we ever get on the topic of studying abroad in Vietnam, someone will probably have to tell me to shut up to stop talking about it before I go on.
8. Travel. I love to travel. I’ve been fortunate enough to been to : Amsterdam in Netherlands, Verona and Venice in Italy, Lucerne in Switzerland, Innsbruck in Austria, Munich and Heidelberg in Germany, Paris and Colmar in France, London in England (through an EF tour I took with my high school French Class as sort of a graduation present and last hurrah before college). And most currently Vietnam and Bangkok, Thailand. I have dreams of traveling to more places in the future, especially if I can find a job that allows me to travel. However, I’ve realized that beyond traveling to these places, it’s the people who you travel with that make your experience all the more special, so I’m looking for travel buddies.
9. Pink. My favorite color. Actually, it would be black and white but since they’re more of the absence of color, Pink is my alternative favorite.
10. I have one good eye and one bad eye. My vision is 40/20 so technically, if anything were ever to happen to my left eye, I would be completely blind. Yes, I’ve thought of investing in one of those monocle- one eye glasses that old men had in the 18oo’s, but let’s be honest. That would just look ridiculous without a pocket watch to go with and no one makes those anymore. I actually wear glasses, but on rare occasions will you ever find me wearing them unless I’m extremely tired or have to read onscreen for a number of hours which usually means during midterms and finals week I walk around with my frames. (One side of my glasses is just like looking through a window the other side is prescription)
11. Eczema and biggest life-health battle. Eczema is common in most infants, especially Asian ones, but people tend to grow out of it later on. I wasn’t one of those fortunate ones. I seriously thought of being a dermatologist so that I could find a cure to it.
12. I don’t like meat. Not saying I won’t eat it, but preferably if I was to go out, I’d rather choose a veggie dish or a salad rather than a steak and ribs.
13. Soymilk and Tofu. I like soymilk and tofu too much for my own good.
14. Favorite foods: French Fries, Ice Cream, and noodles. I love potatoes in every form cooked: mashed, fried, baked, home skillet. I can eat ice cream no matter what season and have lived off a carton of Ben and Jerry’s for dinner on more than one occasion for dinner in college. My favorite flavors are Green Tea, Vanilla, and Rocky Road.
15. Birds scare me to Death. I’m deathly afraid of birds, and most dogs for that matter of fact, but seriously pigeons are the worst. They’re so ballsy. I avoid walking on streets and curbs where I know there will be a flock of birds waiting and intentionally make a loud stomp to scare them away before I come any closer. I hate the way they walk, the fact that they can fly but wait at the last minute to take off and scare you straight silly. My biggest fear is being attacked by birds while their pecking me. I cried like 70% of the time I was in Italy being surrounded by pigeons. Have you ever seen the movie “When birds attack?” ya, it’s kind of like that.
16. I talk really fast. I have a lot of energy and when I’m really excited about something or I just have something to say, I’ll just say it quickly for the sake of saying it whether anyone is really paying attention or not. I do believe that time shouldn’t be wasted, so if you have something to say, say it quickly and move on because half the time, people don’t care what you’re saying. Those that do care about what you have to say will keep up with you. Also, I hate giving huge speeches. I can do it absolutely for sure, but I just prefer to talk to someone one on one over coffee rather than in large congregations.
17. Movies. I love to watch movies. Yes, this sounds generic, but it’s true. I’m one of those people that would be completely happy to be at home watching movies all day, never stepping outside of the house, and lounging around. My favorite movies are Moulin Rouge, Shakespeare in Love, and Serendipity along with other.
18. Reading. Yes, another generic hobby but true. When I was little, I lived for those scholastic magazines so we could order books from school and I loved the library. I did that reading challenge to read 100 or something book at the end of the summer just to get a free t-shirt. Malcolm Gladwell’s books are a must read.
19. My guilty pleasures are Korean Dramas. Goong, Boys over Flowers, You’re Beautiful, Shining Inheritance, Etc. If you haven’t watched one, don’t. It’s a bad habit to get into, especially when all the dramas seem to instill some kind of hopeless, romantic ideal and love triangle and death that doesn’t happen in real-life. But other than that, there are some really funny-cute ones and plus I’m a sucker for romance and movies.
20. Acute Insomnia. I don’t sleep well. It takes me about 2hours to fall asleep and when I do, I wake up in the middle of the night, toss around, and then take another 2 hours to fall back asleep. Therefore, I’m always tired. I know I’m tired because I don’t sleep well. Whether it’s from over-thinking, nightmares, or whatever, I’m not sure. I usually feel like crap the next morning, so yes, I know I always look tired and the truth is, it’s because I am, so don’t remind me. Thus, I rely on coffee and Starbucks FTW.
21. Cavities. I believe I have bad teeth. They’re straight, but just a lot of cavities.
22. The number 707 which is usually at the end of my name in profile links and emails. 7 is a lucky number.
23. Neutral. I considered myself to be culturally neutral growing up since my family was so mixed and even more so after traveling abroad I came to the realization that it really doesn’t matter where you’re from or your background because everyone has their own notions, stereotypes, and prejudice including yourself, so who cares. In the end, you can’t judge someone the right way based on their background but only on who they are as a person and even then, who are you to judge someone’s personality. The biggest difference between American society and others is that Americans are protective of the individual while other cultures put emphasis on the individual’s role in society.
24. The Future? Ideally, I want to work for a global, international company that does something, or make something I believe in. People say it’s about finding the right job, I think it’s about finding the right company or organization that you want to work with and for. Still exploring different types of companies I would want to work for such as MNCs, Non-Profits, and small enterprises. As long as it’s in the lines of Administrative, Executive, Management work, I would be happy. I’ve explored my options in Marketing a little bit with SEO’s and Social Media, as well as Public Relations, and Government Work (my mom works for the state and kind of pushed me to do the same) and I probably wouldn’t mind it as a career, but still on the iffy. However, I’m more suited for office work, managerial tasks, and being a resource. I’m trying to not limit myself too much in my career because I do believe in opportunities and if the right opportunity comes a long, I would jump on the wagon. If all goes down, I’ll just be a personal assistant to some rich guy like Pepper Potts is to Iron Man.
25. Tumblr. Mostly just a place so I can tumble across things that inspire me, motivate me, make me aware, and relates to business, international affairs, and globalization and my interests.